The Liberal Country Music Fan

Welcome to the Liberal Country Music Fan blog. Life sometimes gets a bit Blue for us country music fans on the Left. With any luck, this blog will provide a home and a voice to us Roosevelt-lovin' Rednecks. It'll be our "Big Blue Note".

Monday, April 24, 2006

Rascal Who?

Lest we forget how popular country music has become in the United States, country albums dominated this week’s Billboard 200 chart, which measures national record sales during the previous week. The two best-selling CDs in America last week were Rascal Flatts’ Me and My Gang and Toby Keith’s White Trash With Money, respectively. Tim McGraw’s Greatest Hits 2 was the seventh best-selling CD.

This week’s sale chart is not unique. Country albums regularly take over the Billboard 200. So why blog about it? I feel it is necessary to remind folks of the incredible popularity of country music, even though the genre may not be spoken about much in certain liberal stronghold areas. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve mentioned Toby Keith, Alan Jackson or even Garth Brooks to my fellow liberals, only to get blank stares in return.

Not clued in to country music? Pick up a copy of one of the above CDs. Alternatively or additionally, The Liberal Country Music Fan will soon be debuting “country music primer“ iMixes at the iTunes Store to help city slicker liberals become redneck Roosevelt-lovers. Keep checking back at The Liberal Country Music Fan for more info!

4 Comments:

  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger Ken said…

    You know, I have no knowledge of the who's who for CM in this era, but wasn't there a bygone era of liberaity for country music stars? Who were the stars of the past that exposed liberalism?

     
  • At 12:45 AM, Blogger Casey said…

    Hello,
    I recently ran across your blog, and was very curious to see an apparently left wing country music site. I was, in my younger years, a fan of country music, but once I developed political opinions sadly realized that most of the music I was listening to I found dull or, in some cases, outright despicable.

    I certainly support what you do. However, I question some of your choices of musicians to include. Specifically, I question your inclusion of Toby Keith. I agree that his public image is a very diverse and contested one, and that he's been called a lot of things. However, I do not see any support for calling him even remotely liberal. His recent albums, in my opinion, make it clearly impossible that he is a liberal.

    For example, a song on his latest album, "Ain't no Right Way," seems clearly antiLiberal to me. It argues against abortion in the first verse in a way very typical of the right rather than the left, and in the last verse before the chorus argues that prayer ought to be introduced to our school systems, another opinion generally associated with the right rather than the left. The middle verse deals with child abuse and is neither blatantly right nor left. Another song that was popular after the events of 9/11 was "Courtesy of the Red White and Blue," again, pretty blatantly warmongering in my opinion, something not generally associated with the left.

    I suppose it's arguably possible that the songs that Keith sings do not in fact represent his own political views, but I find it hard to believe that he would be left oriented and would sing such right wing material.

    It seems to me that Toby Keith tries very hard to appeal to the 'ordinary' white southerner. The ordinary white southerner is Republican, not Democrat, generally speaking.

    I would be interested to know what evidence you have to support Toby Keith's presence on a purportedly left wing blog. The same goes for Alan Jackson, though I am less familiar with his lyrics and can not cite with him.

    I would suggest that there are artists much more worthy of being placed here. Neil Young, who certainly qualifies as a country singer at times in my opinion, and Willie Nelson, for example.

     
  • At 3:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
    »

     
  • At 4:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
    »

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home